On The Writing of Tomorrow: A Manifesto

In struggling to concoct a new style I threw myself into a ardent contemplation of all those values which I venerate and all those that I eschew. After all, what is writing but a crystallization of thought and what is worth writing but those ideas which one most venerates. It then stands to reason that one’s writing should be as tempered as one’s mind, containing all of it’s moral mannerism and doing away with all that one holds up shield and spear against. Therefore, I lay my tenets bare for the benefit of the less astute and linguistically minded as well as for the more judicious and discerning to pick apart like vultures upon the carcass of some sun-rent beast, for happily do I welcome it.

Minimalism.

Our writing should be like a ardently tended bonfire, brilliant, luminous, burning and yet never lasting longer than it needs to. This precept is based upon a fundamental understanding of the brevity of human life – why should one write 500 pages for a novel when all that needs be said can be written in 200? In writing with purpose one must also have respect for time, your own as well as your readers.

Unbound By Forms – Bound by Standards.

Literary forms are but guidelines – commas, periods, all these are signifies of a particular manner of speech and if such manners can be accurately portrayed without their use then all the better. What is immeasurably more crucial is that a new and unified standard is raised like a battle flag to better illuminate the placing of all writers within it. For without a objective standard by which all are measured, none can be measured.

Passionate Circumnavigation of Demure.

Never should one’s work be shy or timid, modest or humble – after all, what is humility but the act of consciously belittling one’s own prowess? We reject with rabid fervor those who rank modesty among the virtues, for to the writer, everything should be seen as it is and in no way other. To underplay one’s own ability’s is as much a departure from the truth as the egoism of sophistry!

Advertisements

6 Comments Add yours

1. CygnusX says:

I like your point on minimalism, as well as the other points. Some writers feel that they need to make monolithic epics out of stories that don’t warrant 1/10 of the word count. Btw I put another story in the draft box.

1. Kaiter Enless says:

Yes, that’s a big problem in fantasy, especially. Also, I saw the story – reading it right now.

Liked by 1 person

1. CygnusX says:

I think George RR Martin is one example. But I don’t have a high regard for his work at all.

2. Kaiter Enless says:

I’ve never actually read his books, only seen the show. It was decent for a couple of seasons but then it rather went downhill rather fast for me. By the way, I really like your cover image but it’s far too small – optimal image size is 2000 x 1500 pixels or larger. I’ll use it for now but if there’s another similar image that you like you should send me a link to it.

3. CygnusX says:

Here’s a new image upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/Monash_Fwy_W_from_Tooronga_peak.jpg

Also I read the first 2 books and they drag on and are not well written. The series was too lewd for me to watch after a certain point. I hate lewd tv shows or movies unless they are subtle.

4. Kaiter Enless says:

Many thanks, I’ll try this one out.